Day 1 – Friday 8 March 2002

Oh No! 8th March already. Quick Sheila we’ve got to pack to
go to Rawson. What’s the weather going to be? Do I need
shorts or longs? Heavy jackets or short sleeves? Decisions,
decisions. So, guess what! We take some of both. Now to pack
the car. There’s only two of us so there’s plenty of room.
Yes, take that extra jumper. But when the boot is chockers
I say to myself. “How did we manage with four kids?” and
our early model cars with no boot, but we did and had a ball.

We decide to leave early after lunch on Friday to beat the
traffic and have a nice quiet drive. And we did. We stopped
at Maccas at Moe for a coffee and a muffin (“coffee” the
Shugg’s middle name – Ed!) and stretch our legs. What a busy
joint, cars, caravans, boats, trail bikes, mountain bikes,
you name it they were there. All heading away for the long

Continuing on to Rawson, the traffic was light and driving
was pleasant. Driving through the forest our thoughts were
with our early pioneers who had no tracks to follow and
carried everything they owned on their backs.

Arriving at the Camp at Rawson we booked in, checked
our room, which we found great, unloaded and then wandered
around and checked the place out. Our evening meal was
enjoyed in the Bistro. Roast pork and vegetables, apple
strudel and ice cream, tea or coffee ……. GREAT!!

Our thanks to go to the organisers in anticipation of
another great weekend.

P.S. “Who said vintage motoring is not fun. Keep the
wheels turning” Keith and Sheila

Day 2 – Saturday 9 March
I woke up as usual at 5.00am. It was very quiet except
for someone snoring. The light was just visible above
the door so it was back to doze until the others woke.

Then came the mad scramble to get to breakfast on time.
It was easy in the bathroom though because the rooms
were setup to accommodate 6 and we only had 4. Breakfast
was through the shrubs and across the oval with just
sufficient time to appreciate the quietness and clean
air on the way. As is normal, breakfast was lively with
members and friends mixing well.

The first “activity” was a drive down to Erica to visit
the chainsaw display at the local Hotel.

But before we could start we had to do running repairs
on guess what (whisper whisper RR) – cannot mention the
marque – reputation and all that what! Dashed Australian
battery terminals – dashed bad show Eh! What!

I can’t really speak though because two nights before I
had to abandon the Chevrolet as it would not run smoothly.
So we traveled with Pam and Ern. The presentation by a
local historian was very informative with some interesting
current issues thrown in. We had morning tea and the chance
to purchase some locally made jam. We went across the road
to visit the local junk shop (bric-a-brac) but it was not
open. Still there were eight or so interesting 40’s and 50’s
cars – 2 Oldsmobiles (very good grills), 1 Hudson, a Ford
Single Spinner ute etc. etc. Such a shame they were not being

Then back for lunch and on the way visited the local Berry
Farm – strawberries, blackberries, blueberries – pick (and
eat) your own then pay by weight. Numbers of members were
seen to return with berry stains on their faces – must have
been picking with their mouths!

After lunch it was off to the Thompson Dam shepherded by
tour guide Geoff. We drove across the dam wall and with
recent rain the vegetation looked great. A huge surface
of water. Roger started what was the first of many rides
taking pillion passengers on his Harley. The ladies seemed
to like this particularly, coming back very enthused. Roger
must have liked it as well because he kept doing it! Vivian
got to ride in different cars as a result. Thanks Roger.

The cars were lined up and a video taken as weheaded off to
the lookout where we had lunch on our previous weekend in
Rawson. This time it was warm and sunny and the views through
the trees and up the dam were magnificent. I gave Peter a
large fright when my foot slipped of Ern’s clutch as we were
backing around Peter & Mazz’s newly purchased ’29 Chev. Oh
well it raised the blood pressure in training for that nights
entertainment. Everyone headed back to Rawson, most for coffee
in the local shop. We missed the instructions and ended up in
Erica for excellent coffee, fresh scones and jam with King
Island cream – delicious.

Dinner was at the resort. As with other meals it was excellent.
Afterwards those who felt energetic headed off to the local
pool for swimming. All the big kids plus some of the young
people took over most of the pool playing a game loosly called
“throwing the ball to hit the opposition”. All in good fun
with everyone enjoying the exercise – they must have because
it went for more than one hour. There would be some sore
bodies that night with a lot quick to nod off to sleep. Others
enjoyed group water aerobics led by Pam with choreography
courtesy of the Arthritis Association.

Back to the common room for coffee and cake to top off a
varied and always interesting first day. Those who had not
swum were engaged in cards, games or the oldest of activities
– a good yarn.

We have been to many of these weekends but the company this
time made it very enjoyable – thank you Geoff and Gay, Joy
and Lindsay for excellent organisation. Noelle & Peter

Day 3 – Sunday 10 March
After breakfast ( How many of you kept to your usual small
bowl of Weeties ) final preparations were made, seating
arrangements confirmed and we headed off in convoy to
Walhalla. Conspicuous was Roger’s burbling Harley Davidson,
‘The Hog’. (His term not mine).

First stop was the Thomson Station of the Moe to Walhalla
goldfields railway. When we were last here the trip was
from the station to the start of the bridge and back,
about 100 metres, but this time we were destined for Happy

We boarded the train and headed off across the bridge
spanning the Thomson River and skirted the side of the
Springers Creek Gorge via the narrow ledge on which the
line is constructed. On arrival at Happy Creek we dismounted
and had a short time to enjoy this picnic spot before the
return trip.

Back at the station, while some of us males took a casual
glimpse of the Anna Kournikova look alike, the rest watched
Mazz don the leathers and helmet to complete the run on
‘The Hog’. The rest of us, including Vivian, had to go by
the normal transport.

As we pulled into Walhalla, Brian directed us to a roped
off parking area he had organised and we then collected
and consumed our packed lunches in the adjacent picnic area.

To make numbers more acceptable we now split into two groups;
one to go with Lindsay to the Masonic Lodge and one with
Brian to the old Post Office. I went with Lindsay and we
climbed the 51 steps to the ex-Wesleyian church. After we
had wandered through the building observing the historic
items one of the members enlightened us as to the meaning
of the various symbols. Questions were answered vaguely but
the Masons wouldn’t be the Masons if they told us non-members
what we really wanted to know.

The group from the Post Office had by now arrived so we were
ushered out and Brian directed us up another flight of steps
to a footpath high on the hillside. Our club cars looked
really impressive from this vantage point. Back down to road
level and the Post Office and after Brian had told us a bit
of history of the place we meandered through the rooms,
somewhat dilapidated but easily restorable, until our interest
was satisfied whence we moved back out into the sunlight.
And it was a beautiful day. Aileen and I then walked up the
street to the fire station, rotunda and other buildings
before returning to the hall for tea and scones (not scons)
and boy did I rip into these.

Well fed, we now moved outside again to prepare for the
return trip. I climbed into the car in which I was travelling
and found myself next to Vivian. It took a while for the
penny to drop but my thoughts were confirmed when I looked
out of the window and saw Aileen putting on the leathers and
helmet for her turn on ‘The Hog’. Has she not listened to
anything I’ve told her about Harley Davidsons? Some people
just have to learn the hard way. Back at Rawson I had to
listen as Peggy and Aileen, who had swapped places halfway,
rave about how fabulous the ride had been. They do it to
annoy me but I shall turn it in my favour when a nice Triumph
becomes available. Seriously though, Roger’s rides were the
hit of the weekend, so many thanks on behalf of all your
bikie chicks Roger. What a theme for a presentation night.
I must make a mention of Bev Sinclair who arrived with Irwin
and James for the day having recently undergone a double knee
replacement. A valiant effort Bev.

After tea the evening was spent as always with card playing,
prune juice drinking and various other activities including
a video of the weekend so far. And it was on this evening
that a remarkable hand of cards was played that will remain
in the annals of DVHCC 500 history for all time, and the
memories of those fortunate enough to observe it. Les

Day 4 – Monday 11 March
After waking at 7:40 am, showing and reaching the dining
room, I found that breakfast was really at 8:00, and not
8:30 as Mrs President had previously informed me. It was
then time to pack up from the night before, and get every-
thing ready to depart after lunch.

We then headed off to the nearby golf course for a round,
where we broke into 2 groups. The first one being Pete,
Herbie and I, and the seconded made up of Mazz, Shelly,
and Mike, with Gail the convenor of both groups. After
playing off nine holes, it was time for a relaxing drink
before lunch, where we had our final gathering before
saying goodbye and departing for home.

I understand that some members stopped to look at “Junk
Shops”, while others headed onto the designated stop at
Yarragon. Rex, Chris and I journeyed onto Melbourne
where we picked up their daughter’s car, before arriving
in Bendigo at 6:15 pm.

Thanks to all those present for making it yet another
great weekend away, and especially to Geoff & Gay and
Joy & Lindsay for all the planning and effort that went
into the event. Looking forward to 2003! Paul

Lindsay is getting lots of practice being a pensioner,
at the ticket office. “Do I get a discount?” Sitting on
the train “Why haven’t we left on time?” and at every
mealtime. “When do we eat? It’s past my lunch time.”
Shocked Walhalla locals looked in amazement while Mazz
demonstrated 101 uses for two oranges. Now we know why
men buy Harley Davidsons – women will do anything to
get on the passenger seat. And while we’re talking two
wheelers, one young lady told us daddy sold his police
motorcycle. Can someone tell those old ladies that
synchronised swimming is no longer an Olympic sport.

Club Cars Weekend away
Gay and Geoff Tangey 1937 Chev Roadster
Peter and Mazz Lafrank 1927 Buick Tourer
Gayle & Brent Herbert 1929 Chev. Sedan
Geoff and Dulcie Strahan 1926 Oldsmobile Tourer
Ern and Pam Hopgood 1928 Chev. Tourer
Kevin and Carol Clarence 1933 Rolls Royce Saloon
Stan and Margaret Snyders 1930 Model A Ford
Ron and Pam Barnett 1928 A Model Ford
Lloyd and Margaret Lancaster 1930 Chev. Tourer
John Zeigler 1928 Chev. Roadster
Brian Walsh 1929 Chev. Van
Joy and Lindsay Tharle 1938 Plymouth Sedan

Special Interest Vehicles
Peter and Pat Grogan 1956 DeSoto
Ian and Judy Clark 1948 Holden

Ken and Shirly Savage, Graeme Smith, Peter and Noelle
Matthews, Les and Aileen Thomas, Clive and Peggy Bennett,
Fred and Val Lubbe, Phil and Carol Bowden, Paul Tangey,
Jodie and Amy Clarence, Chris Rachael Catherine and
Mitchell Tharle, Graeme and Bev Copes, Eric and Barbara
Nichol, Roger Bowen and Vivian, Keith and Sheila Shugg.

Chris and Rex Wallis, Joan Graham, Neville and Cheryl Young,
Michelle Brent and Michael Furst.